Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Meat Loaf or Ring?


Meat ring cut and ready to serve   My first meatloaf I ever made had very crusty edges, because I had to cook it long enough to cook the inside. My husband and I both like our meat well done, and when cooking for children, I always want the meat well done.
   My solution?... The Meat Ring! I prepare my meat the same as if I'm making meat loaf, but instead of using a loaf pan, I use a round or oval casserole dish. I place the meat in the dish and pat it smooth just as if I were making a loaf.
Meat in oval casserole dishThen using my fingers, I make a large hole in the center of the loaf, forming a ring.
Make hole with fingersBe sure your ring is even all the way around. This will cut your cooking time in half and ensure a more evenly cooked meat "ring". It is also easy to slice and serve straight from the pan.

Meat "Ring"
Ingredients:
   1 egg, beaten
   ¼ c. fine bread crumbs
      or ¾ c. soft bread crumbs(1 slice of bread)
   ¼ c. Worcestershire
   ¼ c. chopped mushrooms, celery, green pepper,
      or shredded carrots ( I prefer green peppers,
      but my husband likes the mushroom.)
   1 Tbsp. dried minced onions
   ½ tsp. basil
   ½ tsp. oregano
   ½ tsp. salt
   ¼ tsp. black pepper
   1 lb. ground beef

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except ground beef.
Combine everything except beef in mixing bowl.Mix well.
Mix wellAdd ground beef and mix well. Hands work well for this.
Add beed and mix with handsMeat mixed wellPat mixture into 1 quart casserole dish. Form a hole in the center of the circle to form a ring.
Ready for ovenBake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes for the ring (45 to 60 minutes for a loaf) or until no pink remains. Spoon barbecue sauce or ketchup over meat if desired for the last 10 minutes of baking time.
Makes 4 servings.

Notes:
   You can use fresh onions, but any leftover meatloaf really stinks up the refrigerator because of the onions. I use the minced onions because they do not stink up my refrigerator as bad as the fresh onions.
   I also, drain the excess fat off about half way through the baking time and again before adding the ketchup or barbeque sauce.
   The meatloaf pictured, is in a 2 quart dish because I doubled the recipe.
   When I double this recipe, I use ¼ c. Worcestershire & ¼ c. milk.
Weight Watcher points - 1/10th of meatloaf is 3 pts

1 comment:

  1. Kim, using the ring cooking method is such a good idea. We also like our meat well done. We like the crispy bits. i also have tried making them in individual servings by putting them in cupcake tins. but presentation is not as pretty as yours.

    ReplyDelete