Sunday, July 11, 2010

How to Cut a Pineapple


Fresh pineapple
   I love pineapple! The only problem was that I never was quite sure how to cut the pineapple. Until one day... I bought a pineapple and on it's tag were instructions for cutting a pineapple. I can't tell you how excited I was to learn this small thing!
   I was recently talking with one of my sisters (I have 8 of them... no brothers!)... about pineapple and she asked, "How do you cut a pineapple?" I realized there were more people like me in the world without this important tidbit of knowledge. So for those that need enlightenment... here it is!

Pineapple ready to cutStep 1:
   Cut the top and bottom off the pineapple.

Cut the top and bottom off the pineappleStep 2:
   Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise.

Cut in half lengthwiseStep 3:
   Cut each half into half lengthwise.

Cut each half in half lengthwiseStep 4:
   Stand one of the quarters up lengthwise, and cut off the tip (which is the core) part of the pineapple.

Cut off the coreStep 5:
   Score pineapple lengthwise. Be sure not to cut all the way through, but do cut all the way down to the hard skin layer.

Score lenthwiseStep 6:
   Score pineapple widthwise. Again, be sure not to cut all the way through, but do cut all the way down to the hard skin layer.

Score widthwiseStep 7:
   Use a knife to cut close to skin, but not the actual skin. Pineapple chunks should fall right off into your bowl.

Cut close to skin to release chunks into bowl.
Finished with one quarterRepeat steps 4 - 7 for each of the quarters.

   Now sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors!

   Extra tips... I've learned to smell the bottom of the pineapple. If it smells sweet... the pineapple is sweet and ready to eat! A little brown on the outside is fine, but too much brown usually means the fruit is too ripe. So go first by smell and then by sight when buying a pineapple!

No comments:

Post a Comment