Friday, July 23, 2010

Baked Beans


Baked Beans   One of my favorite things to eat besides chocolate is baked beans. I am quite particular about my baked beans, and fell in love with Big John's baked beans that used to come in the big blue can. You know... the ones that came with a can of beans and a can of sauce that you mixed together? The ones that were discontinued?!
   Well, I found a recipe on the internet that claimed to be just like Big John's. I tried it and made a few modifications until I think it is now perfection!
   Remember... good baked beans do take time, so this is not a recipe that you can make in a single day!

Baked Beans
Ingredients:
   2 cans (11 oz.) Campbell's Pork & Beans
   ½ cup Manwich brand sloppy-joe sauce
   1½ Tablespoons Hormel real bacon bits
   2 Tablespoons honey
   1½ teaspoon molasses
   1 teaspoon dried, minced onion
   ⅛ teaspoon salt
   ⅛ teaspoon ground mustard
   ⅛ teaspoon white vinegar
   ¼ teaspoon pepper
Combine all the ingredients except the pork & beans in a small jar, cover, and refrigerate overnight. These make up the sauce.
The next day...combine beans and sauce in small baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for at least 1 hour. I like to bake mine for 90 minutes. Let set about 30 minutes prior to serving. These are even better the second day!
Serves 4. (Triple the recipe to get 2 quarts exactly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment