Thursday, August 5, 2010

White Sauce

   This is the basic sauce that I use for most of my sauces (or gravies). I use it when making scalloped potatoes, tuna gravy for toast, sausage or hamburger gravy for biscuits. I make it with chicken broth instead of milk for my chicken pot pie. I often add Velveeta cheese for a cheesy sauce. My husband likes the cheese sauce on his biscuits. When I make my roast beef gravy, I use the beef juices instead of the milk. This recipe is very versatile.

White Sauce
Indgredients:
   2 tablespoons butter
   ½ teaspoon of salt
   ⅛ teaspoon of pepper
   2 tablespoons of flour
   1 cup of milk

Melt butter in small saucepan. Add salt and pepper, and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir until smooth. I like to use a whisk for this. Gradually add milk and stir constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Return to heat and stir constantly until sauce begins to boil. Otherwise, continue stirring until thick (about 2 to 3 minutes).
Makes 1 cup.

Notes:
If making for scalloped potatoes or chicken pot pie, remove from heat as soon as it begins to boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment