Thursday, August 12, 2010

Peanut Butter Quickies


Peanut Butter Quickies   One of my favorite cookies from when I was younger was Peanut Butter Quickies. I loved to make them and still do! They are a family favorite for my children as well.
   This cookie is not baked, but cooked on the stove. It is very important to have your ingredients you will use at the end of cooking ready before you start to cook, so read through the instructions before starting to cook.
   Also, I can't stress enough how important it is to STIR CONSTANTLY when cooking these! I usually get one of my children to stir for me. I give them a wire whisk and tell them to be sure they stir all around (covering every part of the bottom of the pan) and tell me as soon as they see bubbles. Cook time is also important. Do not overcook these! You will have crumbly balls if you do.

Peanut Butter Quickies
Ingredients:
   1½ cups quick-cooking rolled oats
   ½ cup chopped pecans
   ¼ teaspoon salt
   ⅔ cup peanut butter
   1 teaspoon vanilla extract
   1½ cups sugar
   ¾ cup flour
   ½ cup butter
   ½ cup milk
Place oats, salt, and nuts in a bowl and set aside. Place peanut butter in measuring cup and set aside. Have vanilla and teaspoon ready and set aside.
In another bowl, combine sugar & flour and set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add milk and sugar/flour mixture. Stir constantly with a whisk and bring to a full boil; boil hard 3 minutes, continuing to stir constantly. Do not overcook.
Remove from heat; working quickly, add peanut butter and vanilla and stir well. Add oat mixture and stir well with a spoon. Don't use a whisk here, as it will get all clogged in the whisk.
Drop by tablespoon (small cookie scoop) onto parchment or wax paper. The cookies will spread out a little, but this is OK. Just let them cool completely to room temperature. Once cookies are cool, roll each cookie into a ball.
Makes 54 cookies.

Notes:
I prefer crunchy peanut butter when making these.
You can leave the nuts out if you want or even use a different kind of nuts, but I like them with the pecans.
If I'm in a hurry, I will melt my butter in the microwave to speed things up.
Be sure to work quickly once you remove these from the burner. They will set up quickly, so get them onto the parchment right away.
After your balls are finished, you can roll them in ½ cup of flaked coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment